1932
Replacing the old wooden Whau Bridge


When the Great North Road was formed, linking Auckland’s CBD through to West Auckland and beyond, there was a need to bridge the Whau River where the road crossed from Avondale to New Lynn. The first wooden bridge dated from sometime after 1855 and was succeeded by another just like it. In November 1932, a new ferro-concrete bridge then replaced the previous version at a cost of £6,474; approximately NZ$156,000 in today’s currency.

  •