1957
The world’s largest tubular steel structure


The Grandstand at Ellerslie Racecourse in Auckland was one of the first structures in the world to use tubular steel cantilever space frames anchored to a central core. The project presented several challenges for the principal designer, Larry Watts, and the fabricators at that time. Fletcher Construction imported a special machine from England to cut the tubular steel frame. The names of Beca and Fletcher would become further entwined in the decades to come. Calculations were longhand using log tables and hand wound calculators.

  •   Images